Is Your Car Ready for Winter?
Cold temperatures, slush, icy roads, and snow are not always the easiest to drive in. While these conditions may be inevitable for life in Canada, there may be some ways you can equip yourself for a little less stressful winter season.
1. Try These Tips To Help Remove Ice
There are some simple tips and tricks that can help with ice removal.
- Put sandwich bags on your side mirrors. When ice forms on your side mirrors, it can be difficult to get off without scratching or damaging them. One trick is to cover them with a sandwich bag, to help prevent ice from forming on the mirror itself.
- Use a sandwich bag with warm water to remove ice. Ice on your vehicle’s windows can impair your view of the road. To easily help remove the ice without scraping, fill a sandwich bag with warm water (not hot or boiling water, around 110° Fahrenheit), close the sandwich bag, and slowly run the bag full of warm water over your icy window. The heat from the water can help melt the ice right off! Remember to refrain from using hot and/or boiling water (around 130° Fahrenheit) on your windows, as this can make the windows crack.
2. Winter Necessities
When winter calls, there are some items that can really come in handy. Here is a short list of items that every driver should consider keeping in their trunk.
- Windshield washer fluid. Having a windshield washer fluid that is designed to clean away salt, snow, and prevent ice and frost build-up can help make your winter a lot easier. Luckily, Canadian Tire carries Certified All-Season Windshield Washer Fluid that does just that.
- Snow brush & ice scraper. Clearing snow and ice off your entire car is important before getting behind the wheel. A sturdy tool like the Reflex Snow Broom is one option.
- Find your vehicle buried in a snowstorm? Keeping a compact shovel can help you get out of a rut. The Yardworks Telescopic Trunk Snow Scoop Shovel is a portable and lightweight selection that can help make shoveling more convenient.
3. Double Check Your Car’s Maintenance
The last thing anyone needs when in a winter storm is for their car to fail them.
Key areas to look out for are:
- Engine oil. If you’re a Canadian Tire Roadside Assistance® member, be sure to use your oil change coupon† to receive a discount!
- Fluids. Replacing your engine coolant, antifreeze and other fluids in your vehicle can help your car perform.
- Tires. Did you know that driving a car with under-inflated tires 56 kilopascals (8 pounds per square inch) can increase your fuel consumption by up to 4% ? To check your tire’s tread depth, check out Canadian Tire’s 6 step How-To Article.
- Seatbelts. Seatbelts can help make a difference when in an accident. Look for cracking, fraying, and loose tension on seatbelts to know when you may need to replace them.
4. Be prepared
The Adventure Medical Kits 2.0 First Aid Kit has 4 different types of bandages, antibiotic ointment, aspirin, ibuprofen, and more to help treat most cuts and scrapes. Its compact carry-on case is easy to store in the trunk of your car.
Your vehicle could need an emergency kit, too. MotoMaster’s Roadside Safety Kit includes 10G booster cables, a 1 D cell battery, rain poncho and more. What’s even better is that every kit includes a one-year Roadside Assistance Emergency Plan† from Canadian Tire Roadside Assistance®!
5. Canadian Tire Roadside Assistance®
The winter season can be hard on your car.
Roadside Assistance provides service 24/7 across Canada and the USA. From towing to any destination of your choice within the distance limits of the plan selected* to exceptional customer service, discover all the benefits‡‡ Canadian Tire Roadside Assistance® has to offer.
For assistance dial #TOW or call 1-888-727-7478, even if you are not a current member.
Compare Canadian Tire Roadside Assistance® Membership Plans here.
‡Applicable taxes, core charges and eco fees will be charged on the total transaction value before deducting the instant savings at the time of purchase. Excludes diesel. Additional fees and charges will apply for vehicles that require more than 5 L of oil. Additional oil filter charges will apply. Cannot be combined with any other offer, coupon, or discount. Coupon has no cash value and must be presented and surrendered at time of redemption. One coupon per vehicle. We reserve the right to limit number of coupons redeemed per person. Limited time only. Altered or modified coupons will not be accepted. Some vehicle restrictions may apply. See in store for details. When you become a Roadside Assistance member you will receive a Welcome Package which will contain the coupon. See Welcome Package for coupon expiry date.
†Terms and conditions apply. See brochure included with kit for complete membership features, plan details and terms and conditions.
*Terms and conditions apply. Subject to the restrictions and limitations of the plan selected. For complete membership features, plan details and terms and conditions visit canadiantire.ca/roadside.
Standard wireless rates apply. Not available through all carriers.
‡‡Discounts subject to change at any time. For all discounts that are currently available, participating merchants, locations and full discount terms and conditions, view the Member Offers page on canadiantire.ca/roadside or visit perkopolis.com.
 Government of Canada Website. https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy-efficiency/transportation-alternative-fuels/personal-vehicles/fuel-efficient-driving-techniques/21038